We’ll wait to see what happens, but my new doctor (I recently moved to Portland, Oregon) finally has suggested a new anti-spasm med that might help control my FGID outbreaks. It’s Bentyl (dicyclomine) and it’s supposed to take effect without making me nod off and go to dreamland.
The jury’s still out — I haven’t had an attack that requires me to take one, but if works this will be the first answer to FGID that doesn’t knock me out. That’ll be a great addition to my med toolkit for days when FGID and my office life collide. We’ll see how it works out. There are a few side effects that I’ll be watching for as well:
- severe constipation, bloating, or stomach pain;
- worsening of diarrhea or other irritable bowel symptoms;
- feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin
- confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior; or
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering
Wow, sounds like fun. You can read more at http://www.rxlist.com/bentyl-drug.htm. I’ll post an update once I see how it works for me.